Reach for the Sky!
In her role as leader of the Early Years team in Lewisham, Kym Scott has worked closely with many schools and settings, helping them to reflect upon and improve their teaching of writing in the EYFS. Lewisham has now moved from being one of the lowest achieving local authorities for outcomes at the end of the EYFS, to being consistently one of the highest in the country.
During the course of this day, Kym will share examples that illustrate how building upon what children naturally choose to do, as well as tuning into their preoccupations, can be the key to lighting the fire of desire for writing in young children.
She will highlight the key elements of learning to write - both compositional and transcriptional - and provide practical examples of experiences and resources that best support this journey. Throughout the session Kym will share real examples of inspirational practice from schools and settings.
Delegates will have opportunities to:
- Explore the developmental stages of mark making and writing and the
key elements needed to become a confident and effective early writer
- Receive a supportive structure to facilitate appropriate planning for these elements
- Consider how to provide challenge and inspiration through everyday play
experiences which incorporate the passions of young children.
- Share effective strategies for engaging ALL children in meaningful writing
- Participate in a range of inspirational activities designed to offer ideas that can be cheaply and easily implemented in practice
Target audience: nursery and reception practitioners, EYFS leaders, senior leaders, teaching assistants, HLTAs, subject leaders, education consultants, practitoners working in settings.